Carol Lewin – Workshop participant, Mittens view at Monument Valley
Claret Cactus, Workshop Participant photo
Looking South from the Moqui Dugway, near Valley of the Gods – Workshop Participant photo
Monument Valley Buttes and Mesas, from John Ford’s point. Workshop Participant photo.
Our Spring 2017 Monument Valley Workshop is just around the corner. And we still have openings for a few more photographers.
Early April, 2017. Participants can expect to explore and photograph at the following locations:
- Lower and Upper Butler Wash, outside of Bluff, Utah
- Twin Rocks, Bluff, Utah
- Valley of the Gods
- Monument Valley
- Mexican Hat
- San Juan River views
- Comb Ridge
We have some favorite locations to share with you. The desert wildflowers are in bloom by the end of April, so we’ll scout some compositions to teach you how to best capture the Claret Cactus, Yucca flowers and other wilds of the canyons of Southeast Utah.
Here’s a sampling of the subjects we’ll incorporate to teach you how to use your digital camera. Most workshop participants find that they are very comfortable with their camera, and know all it’s features by the end of a Chase the Light Adventure.
- Grand Scenics
- Intimate moments in the landscape
- Working with clouds
- “No sky, NO sky.
- Night Photography
- Moonrise in Monument Valley
- Star trails in Monument Valley
Skills and Techniques
- Aperture Priority
- Shutter Priority
- Focus priority
- Depth of field
- Graduated Neutral Density Filters (in the camera, and post-production)
- Capturing density for post-production
Photography Workshops in the Slot Canyons, Fall Utah Color, Ancient Ruins of the Southwest, California Coastal Flowers
Kit Frost has been teaching photography for 40 years. Let her share her love of the grand and intimate landscape with you. Let Kit share her simple methods and teach you:
- How to operate your camera properly
- How to make better photo compositions
- Learn which of those bells and whistles are important and which to ignore.
- Learn how to use your video functions (optional)
- Learn to upload to your laptop or tablet. (optional)
Kit will travel to your location, or why not meet her at one of the stunning National Parks.
- Canyonlands National Park
- Arches National Park
- Zion National Park
- Capitol Reef National Park
- Redwoods National Park
- Mesa Verde National Park
- to name a few.
Learn special techniques when you’re ready:
- Using your digital camera to record video
- Add a simple, inexpensive mic to improve sound
- iPhone and Smartphone too
- Time Lapse
- Night Sky photography
Tuition varies with length of time, but Kit suggests that you set aside 2 hours.
$75. per hour
Please contact Kit to make arrangements and to confirm your reservation.
Photographers take a break to pose for the camera at Monument Valley Photography Workshop, 2013