July and August are the best months to head out into the mountains for Colorado’s spectacular wildflower displays. I love to get “high” in the San Juan Mountains near Durango. Some of my favorite locations, and sure things, are:
- Clear Lake, Clear Creek, northwest of Silverton
- The La Plata Mountains, west of Durango, Drive all the way up La Plata Canyon Road, Cumberland Basin and Columbus Basin are winners
- Anywhere along the Ice Lakes and Ice Creek Trails, Northwest of Silverton
- Missionary Ridge Road to Henderson Lake, near Durango
- And the Wildflowers all along the Alpine Loop over Cinnamon and Engineer passes ROCKS.
These photos were taken to show you the fabulous displays we have each summer in Colorado. I am taking a group of students out to teach Wildflower photography this coming Friday. Each week between now and the end of the wild season, I will be posting a few choice locations, with their current wildflower status.
At some locations you may also be blessed with a combination of wilds, middle ground and the San Juan Mountains. These locations are my favorites, as I enjoy the challenges of combining good composition, color, lighting and depth of field. The drive from Durango to Silverton along 550 North is a good location for roadside creek falls. Although we are in a severe drought here in southern Colorado, we’ve had monsoons (daily thunderstorms and rain) hit the high country to water the gardens up there.