Learn to Photograph Fall Color in Colorado
October 4-6, 2015, Join us for one or all days!
Our Colorado Fall Color Photography Workshop takes place in the San Juan Mountains. Round-trip from Durango, we take you to our favorite grand and intimate scenic locations throughout Southern Colorado, stopping along the way to teach lessons such as:
- Composition for the Grand Colorado Landscapes
- Photographing Aspens in the Forest
- Patterns and Textures of Aspen
- Working with Depth of Field and Shutter Speed.
- We make sure you’re familiar and comfortable with YOUR camera.
Day One finds us exploring the landscapes, light and aspens between Durango and Ouray, we explore locations for lessons at the Pigeon, Turret view, along Lime Creek Road, Molas Pass, and then on to the glorious Red Mountain Pass to Ouray (the Switzerland of America).
- How to properly use YOUR camera to combine f-stop, shutter and ISO to make your images sing. Discussion of what makes a good photo into a great photo.
- Aperture control for depth of field
- Shutter control for those “quaking” aspen.
- Choosing back-lighting, front, and side lighting to improve your photography
Day Two we travel up and along Owl Creek Road to Silver Jack Reservoir. The Cimmaron Mountains are our backdrop as we explore “near-far” relationships in the autumn landscape. At sunset we will photograph the Sneffels Range from Dallas Divide, a must see fall scene in Colorado. Learn what composition skills are needed to isolate beauty in the “big” scene.
- Using leading lines in your photos.
- Create near-far compositions and learn to select the proper f-stop
- Working with exposure compensation (+-)
Day Three: After an early check out of our accommodations, we continue chasing the fall color and mountain compositions that “call our names”. We continue to teach you to improve your photography skills. Digital video instruction (optional) will be demonstrated as we make our way through the mountains, creating short video clips of your adventure, the forests, time lapse of the grand and intimate scenes. This workshop ends after lunch on Wednesday, October 6.
Tuition and Accommodations
Accommodations in Ouray are at the newly remodeled Matterhorn Motel. Once registered for our Fall Color Photo Workshop, we’ll pass along more information about suggested gear, clothing. Click here for Kit’s suggestions for adventure gear.
Tuition, includes expert photography instruction, accommodations, light beverages and lunch at our photo locations. $1298.
For more information about fall color in Colorado.
And while in Durango.
Join us for our Adobe Lightroom class after your workshop,
Learn to upload, edit and sequence, title and add music to YouTube and Facebook videos.